Facebook Ads and Google Ads are both highly effective methods of generating brand awareness, increasing conversions and retargeting those potential customers who need that extra push to buy.
So which should you invest in?
Why use Facebook ads?
According to Hootsuite, 38% of New Zealanders are spending more time on social media since the onset of COVID-19. If you want to reach your audience, social media advertising is key.
Facebook is the most popular social media platform in New Zealand, so it’s a great place to start. Organic posting will engage some of your existing following, but if you want more traction, paid advertising is the way to go. Socialmedia.org.nz found that only 3% of Facebook pages received more than 10% engagement. The good news is that you don’t need a large budget to start running Facebook ads, so with targeted, engaging campaigns you can improve your website conversions without breaking the bank.
What are the benefits of using Facebook ads?
Facebook ads have many pluses:
- Targeting: You can direct your ads towards people who have certain interests and fit particular demographic profiles, to reach those users who will be most interested in your products. Display ads on desktop, mobile or both to reach your audience where they are.
- Retargeting: Add Facebook Pixel to your website so you can retarget website visitors who didn’t purchase with Facebook ads for products they looked at.
- Analytics: Facebook’s Ads Manager gives you detailed insights into click-through rates, reach, impressions and other useful metrics that help you evaluate success.
- A/B testing: Test different ad sets to see how your ad creative, format, call to action and other factors affect engagement.
- Multiple platforms: Run your ads on Facebook’s news feed, Facebook marketplace, Messenger and set up Instagram ads at the same time. Instagram users are highly engaged, providing greater opportunity for conversion. 69% of NZ Instagram users are also under 35, so it’s an ideal platform to reach a younger demographic.
Why use Google Ads?
There are several reasons to run Google Ads campaigns:
- They’re great for eCommerce: Google Shopping ads now drive 76.4% of retail search ad spend. Use Google Merchant Ads to promote your online and local inventory, boost traffic to your website or local store, and find better qualified leads.
- Quality reporting: Google’s accurate reporting gives you actionable insights on pricing, merchandising and more to drive your digital strategy.
- Different ad formats: Google offers a variety of formats, from text ads to video and call-only ads to suit different purposes, so you can choose the type that will get you the best results.
Are Google Ads or Facebook Ads better for your business?
Your overarching objectives and where your audience engages with your brand should dictate where you put your dollars. If it’s the first time running these kinds of campaigns, try both. Each will reach people in different places online, and by trying both you’ll be able to compare the two formats to see which proves most successful. It’s important to note that both Google Ads and Facebook Ads should also fit into your wider digital marketing strategy and form a part of wider campaigns that encompass different channels.
Important things to consider before getting started:
- Tap into expertise: Digital ad campaigns are only effective if set up properly. If you don’t have the in-house resource, consider reaching out to a digital agency.
- Test and learn: Allow a period of time to test what works and ensure you continually optimise to achieve the best results.
- Your website comes first: If your website isn’t optimised or well-designed, you’re unlikely to see results from your ad campaigns. A well-designed website will maximise conversions by being easy to navigate, search engine-friendly and designed with the user in mind.
To set up Google Ads or Facebook Ads for your business, chat to our team of digital marketing experts today.